47 replies to this topic

#1 Phawx

Phawx

Professional Derailer

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

I would like to use InkScape to draw some stuff on my Pandora when I get it. Possibly to create some assets for that Citadel game.

I've seen Wacom have a screen that can be drawn on, but I don't know if the screen was resistive. Plus the size of the screen might be a problem as well.

The screen should be 3.7" wide and 2.2" high, it might be just large enough to actually get something done on it, I would think think with inkscape the drawing process should be easier with certain 'helper' tools. Stuff that helps curve a line and such.

Has anyone drawn on a resistive touch screen with a full features drawing app like InkScape?

#2 PoisonedV

PoisonedV

Yeah, I'm a GIRL gamer, what of it?

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2601 posts
  • Interests:Retro gaming, cute boys

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:05 PM

i tried using inkscape
i sucked sad.gif
what is open up with the interface

in after grammar

Edited by PoisonedV, 28 October 2008 - 06:50 AM.

#3 mazza558

mazza558

GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

what's wrong with inkscape? It's not that bad, just takes a while to get used to.

#4 PoisonedV

PoisonedV

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2601 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

why do open source fanboys expect everyone to move to open source programs? if it takes large amounts of effort, no ones going to change

#5 conso

conso

Mega GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(Phawx @ Oct 27 2008, 11:51 PM) View Post

I would like to use InkScape to draw some stuff on my Pandora when I get it. Possibly to create some assets for that Citadel game.

I've seen Wacom have a screen that can be drawn on, but I don't know if the screen was resistive. Plus the size of the screen might be a problem as well.

The screen should be 3.7" wide and 2.2" high, it might be just large enough to actually get something done on it, I would think think with inkscape the drawing process should be easier with certain 'helper' tools. Stuff that helps curve a line and such.

Has anyone drawn on a resistive touch screen with a full features drawing app like InkScape?

The only real problem I see is the toolbox. It would need to be modified to let the window be less then 800px in height.

#6 conso

conso

Mega GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(PoisonedV @ Oct 28 2008, 12:19 AM) View Post

why do open source fanboys expect everyone to move to open source programs? if it takes large amounts of effort, no ones going to change

noone? wtf... millions of people use inkscape, so who do you call noone?

Nobody wants you to use inkscape, use whatever you want. I don't know any vector-grapic program that is easyer to learn and understand while offering a decent amount of features then inkscape. I like it much better then corel draw and that's not because it's open source.

#7 mazza558

mazza558

GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(PoisonedV @ Oct 27 2008, 11:19 PM) View Post

I don't expect anyone to move to it, but it's not as bad as you say it is.

#8 Tripmonkey_uk

Tripmonkey_uk

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts
  • Interests:All of the above!

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(conso @ Oct 27 2008, 11:21 PM) View Post

The only real problem I see is the toolbox. It would need to be modified to let the window be less then 800px in height.

It would be best to separate the toolbox completely from the canvas (if possible). A keypress to activate/de-activate a full screen toolbox would be a lot better on portable devices IMO.

#9 Sphinxter

Sphinxter

Says What?

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2831 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:04 AM

Skencil?

#10 PoisonedV

PoisonedV

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2601 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE(conso @ Oct 27 2008, 05:31 PM) View Post

QUOTE(PoisonedV @ Oct 28 2008, 12:19 AM) View Post

noone? wtf... millions of people use inkscape, so who do you call noone?

Nobody wants you to use inkscape, use whatever you want. I don't know any vector-grapic program that is easyer to learn and understand while offering a decent amount of features then inkscape. I like it much better then corel draw and that's not because it's open source.

no ones going to change. how many industry professionals use inkscape compared to illustrator? and I didn't mean "me" i meant people in generally, and if you ignore the large push of open source bloggers and everyone else i guess youd be right

#11 Svartalf

Svartalf

Mega GP Mania

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(PoisonedV @ Oct 27 2008, 08:05 PM) View Post

no ones going to change. how many industry professionals use inkscape compared to illustrator? and I didn't mean "me" i meant people in generally, and if you ignore the large push of open source bloggers and everyone else i guess youd be right

Heh... Some 12 years ago, quite a few people were making the same remarks that you've made about Inkscape (and other FOSS software) and now we're seeing smartphones, netbooks, etc. being made with some of that same stuff that "nobody was going to change over"... (Hint: You wouldn't even HAVE a Pandora to bicker about if it weren't for one of those pieces of software...).

Say what you will. If it's got potential it'll get used. It'll get refined. If it doesn't, it won't matter- moreover, few will even suggest it in the first place. wink.gif

[edit]

By the way, PoisonedV, you DO realize that pros use something other than Photoshop for Movie frame editing/retouch, right? It's called Cinepaint and it's been used with things like Lord of the Rings, The Last Samurai, the Harry Potter movies, etc.

Hollywood would disagree with you, you know... biggrin.gif

Edited by Svartalf, 28 October 2008 - 02:09 AM.

#12 kukacster

kukacster

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE(PoisonedV @ Oct 27 2008, 10:05 PM) View Post

i tried using inkscape
i sucked :(
what is open with the interface

I did try inkscape and I am using it. It was a peace of cake after freehand and illustrator. It is a very good software, I can't see your problem.

#13 Malwyn

Malwyn

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:17 AM

As someone with pretty decent artistic abilities, traditional and digital, I can vouch for gimp and inkscape, but not necessarily on a screen that freaking small. This has nothing to do with the capabilities of open source software, mind. Few fully featured creative applications open source or proprietary lend themselves well to any screen under eight inches.

In general though, gimp and inkscape are more than adequate. Gimp has its universally maligned interface (which is improving, notably in 2.6), but it's still a very powerful raster graphics editor in its own right. It should not be judged on a scale of "is photoshop" to "is not photoshop". Inkscape for some reason seems to have absorbed some spillover contempt from gimp, despite having a finely polished interface that kicks the crap out of flash and illustrator, and a featureset to match. I've even heard that illustrator until recently couldn't do translucency gradients which was downright bizarre, while inkscape has supported this for years. Of course there's a learning curve, there's a learning curve for all new software. If you found an application that required absolutely -no- learning, you've probably got an inferior product.

I don't think anyone expects anyone to move to open source software for the sake of it, but there's no reason not to suggest that said people should consider moving to viable, free, legally unambiguous alternatives.

Hi, PoisonedV.

#14 adamorjames

adamorjames

GP32 Hardcore

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Art, Tech, Code (Sleep, Breathe, Eat)

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE(PoisonedV @ Oct 27 2008, 05:05 PM) View Post
i tried using inkscape
i sucked sad.gif
what is open with the interface

I use Inkscape.
Converted my avatar to SVG (the dir it is in is because I was lazy and am a bad organizer sometimes.. I use the avatar for more than this forum):IPB Image
Made a project logo: https://launchpad.net/comicget
Made extra character artwork for a game: http://iteamgame.org...c.php?f=11&t=17
and more

Edited by adamorjames, 28 October 2008 - 02:20 AM.

#15 absolofdoom

absolofdoom

GP32 Hardcore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:20 AM

Jeez Poison, way to answer the question and keep the thread on-topic...

I've used mypaint (has pressure sensitivity, different brushes, etc.) on my nokia n810, which I'm almost sure has a resistive screen, and it worked pretty dang well. The pandora's screen will probably be better than the n810's (which isn't exactly the god of touchscreens), so I would bet inkscape would work decently, as far as the touchscreen goes. I don't know that much about vector graphics, though, so I'm not sure how much processing power it requires.