159 replies to this topic

#136 hitbyambulance

hitbyambulance

GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

Just FYI, you should be able to use one of my new features I put into Open2X, soft-reset: If anything like this happens instead of powering cycling the gp2x, press LTRIGGER + RTRIGGER + A + B + X + Y + VOLUP + VOLDOWN for a second or two and then release all those buttons and the menu should relaunch unless an app has somehow hard-crashed the gp2x.

i had forgotten about that; good to know.

is there a way to use a different theme for 'compatibility' mode? i don't like the default Gamepark Holdings default theme for the standard GUI, and there are some nice user-made ones out there.

#137 Javacat

Javacat

Founder of the WarmFluffyUK fan club

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

I decided to dig out my old GP2X last night and thought I might try installing Open2X on it. My F100 is on the firmware 2.0.0. Can I follow the instructions on the Open2X website to update straight away or do I need to update to a newer standard firmware first? I think that I updated the bootloader at some point but I can't remember which version.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the filesystem was changed in one of the newer standard firmwares, along with a few other changes and that you have to step through the different versions to get to the latest, otherwise risk bricking.

Also, is there a new version of Open2X due out soon?? I see this current release is from april. Is Open2X still being actively developed?

Thanks!

#138 Senor Quack

Senor Quack

I feel a great disturbance in the source

• GP Guru
  • 1165 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

I decided to dig out my old GP2X last night and thought I might try installing Open2X on it. My F100 is on the firmware 2.0.0. Can I follow the instructions on the Open2X website to update straight away or do I need to update to a newer standard firmware first? I think that I updated the bootloader at some point but I can't remember which version.
I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the filesystem was changed in one of the newer standard firmwares, along with a few other changes and that you have to step through the different versions to get to the latest, otherwise risk bricking.

No, it shouldn't matter what version you're using. Just be sure to use the correct version for your model: F100 or F200.

Also, is there a new version of Open2X due out soon?? I see this current release is from april. Is Open2X still being actively developed?

Right now it's only mainly only being worked on by me and there are still some bugs to fix and features I'd like to add. I can't say when the next version will be out as I have a busy job and will be doing a long hiking trip and be away from a computer for about half a year this summer so who knows. I just fixed the SDHC bug hopefully, and that was last week. I am also working on a cool GP2X port of a famous SHUMP game that I think everyone will be surprised to see and also maybe happy to see.

Edited by Senor Quack, 18 January 2010 - 01:04 PM.

#139 Farox

Farox

GP Mania

• GP Guru
  • 493 posts
  • Interests:Pandora
    GP2X
    Caanoo

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Cool news... :)

----OT
I'm also working on SHMP porting...i'm hope this is not the same game... :P

I have a working port of KETM but i have some prob...with Hall of Fame's name insertion and need a hand on code for select game mods at start..

If someone want to help i could send the sources...

----end of OT

Edited by Farox, 18 January 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#140 Tag5

Tag5

Mega GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

Looking forward to a new Open2X revision. Posted Image

#141 Tag5

Tag5

Mega GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

Looking forward to a new Open2X revision. Posted Image

#142 Morpheus384

Morpheus384

GP32 Hardcore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Retro Gaming, Emulation, Mountain Biking, Kayaking, Hiking, Gourmet Chef, Homebrewer, SCA Reenactor.

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:47 AM

Ive been using Open2X for quite a few months now, mostly for games and Love it! I haven't used it for video as I have other PMPs at my disposal, and my GP2X is for pure gaming goodness. A friend just got his GP2X recently, and I urged him to upgrade the firmware to Open2x, and he noticed that the video I talked him through encoding was having sync problems. I thought it was just with his unit, until I tried mine and saw that I had the same audio/video sync problem. Both of our videos worked fine in compatibility mode. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a simple setting I'm missing? I love Open2x but I also have literally hundreds of gigs of pre encoded GP2X video(3 years worth)I'd like to view without using TVout which Ive read Open2x rocks at.

Any Ideas if there's some settings I've overlooked? Thanks in advance for any input.

-P.S all my video is encoded at ntsc if that helps.

Edited by Morpheus384, 30 January 2010 - 02:35 AM.

#143 Senor Quack

Senor Quack

• GP Guru
  • 1165 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:17 AM

Ive been using Open2X for quite a few months now, mostly for games and Love it! I haven't used it for video as I have other PMPs at my disposal, and my GP2X is for pure gaming goodness. A friend just got his GP2X recently, and I urged him to upgrade the firmware to Open2x, and he noticed that the video I talked him through encoding was having sync problems. I thought it was just with his unit, until I tried mine and saw that I had the same audio/video sync problem. Both of our videos worked fine in compatibility mode. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a simple setting I'm missing? I love Open2x but I also have literally hundreds of gigs of pre encoded GP2X video(3 years worth)I'd like to view without using TVout which Ive read Open2x rocks at.

Any Ideas if there's some settings I've overlooked? Thanks in advance for any input.

-P.S all my video is encoded at ntsc if that helps.

I had similar problems recently when I tried to reencode DVDs into a format suitable for the GP2X. It was a 3 hour long Divx file and would go out of sync constantly unless you occasionally fast-forwarded or rewinded. I didn't have the same problem with some older Divx files that I played directly on the GP2X, no reencoding, when I first released DR6. I watched three Star Wars movies in a row with TV-out and at no time did it lose sync. Nor did it lose sync with other movies I watched that week. Very strange, I'll look into it, maybe tell Lithosphere about it in IRC.

#144 hitbyambulance

hitbyambulance

GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

is there a way to use a different theme for 'compatibility' mode? i don't like the default Gamepark Holdings default theme for the standard GUI, and there are some nice user-made ones out there.

also, when renaming links from the desktop, is there a way to use capital letters?

#145 Senor Quack

Senor Quack

• GP Guru
  • 1165 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

also, when renaming links from the desktop, is there a way to use capital letters?

As for the themes: I am not sure how to install one but honestly I have so many other things to do I am pretty sure this won't get done :(

A for the renaming of links: I believe it's the button "Y" you press to toggle between the different keyboard character sets. Look down below and there should be a listing of a button you press and it will let you insert capital letters and punctuation.

#146 angent_orange

angent_orange

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Any reason why Final Burn Alpha crashes when I try to run it in TV mode?

#147 Senor Quack

Senor Quack

• GP Guru
  • 1165 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

It is, IIRC, a bug in the launcher (not FBA itself). It is closed-source and the author(s) wouldn't return my emails or PMs so there is nothing I could do. I am sorry! (This might be mentioned in the README, can't remember)

Edited by Senor Quack, 13 March 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#148 angent_orange

angent_orange

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

It is, IIRC, a bug in the launcher (not FBA itself). It is closed-source and the author(s) wouldn't return my emails or PMs so there is nothing I could do. I am sorry! (This might be mentioned in the README, can't remember)

Hmmm, thanks for the insight. Is there really no solution to this at all?

#149 Senor Quack

Senor Quack

• GP Guru
  • 1165 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hmmm, thanks for the insight. Is there really no solution to this at all?

If one were to create custom launch scripts for each game one wished to play through FBA using TVout, it should allow you to play without a crash. In other words, bypass the launcher (the launcher was created by Jycet and perhaps someone else IIRC). You would need to find out what parameters the launcher is passing to FBA (probably things like the ROM file location, the sound frequency, etc etc) and just create a launch script manually for each ROM you wish to play.

If I wasn't in the woods right now using a communal laptop and had a few weeks of free time I would create new launchers myself but unfortunately I won't have the time for at least 7 months. Someone else could step up. The best option is probably to try to get in touch with the authors of the launcher and notify them of the bug. As mentioned above, I tried this already but I didn't try more than once because I was very busy.

#150 Tag5

Tag5

Mega GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

Right now it's only mainly only being worked on by me and there are still some bugs to fix and features I'd like to add. I can't say when the next version will be out as I have a busy job and will be doing a long hiking trip and be away from a computer for about half a year this summer so who knows. I just fixed the SDHC bug hopefully, and that was last week. I am also working on a cool GP2X port of a famous SHUMP game that I think everyone will be surprised to see and also maybe happy to see.

Just a shot in the dark, will there be an Open2X DR8 for F100 and F200 with the new features you mentioned, o2xiv updates (Open2X Image Viewer) and those bugs fixed in the pipe line due for release? Only wondering. Posted Image