I tend to buy many things. I regularly use around 10% of my purchases, with the other 90% being shelved. I do also have a GP32 and PSP which don't get used much, but the Pandora is better with respect to 8 and 16 bit emulation simply because of the screen, and that was one of the primary reasons for purchasing it. I suspect many many people have bought, or are in the process of receiving their Pandoras for 8 and 16 bit emulation. The problem is simple: despite the better screen, the gameplay is no better. I feel people will be expecting the Pandora to be an incredible device when they finally receive it after all this time, but once they do get it they will wonder what the fuss was about. Does this make any sense? I know people buy things for the sake of it, me being included to an extent.
It's quite simple in that humans like buying things, especially gadgets, but the love is soon lost. The Pandora to me was meant to be a device for playing retro games - it sort of got my interest back in the memories I have of the old days. Whilst following the Pandora, I hardly played old games on either the GP32 or PSP as I was saving the experience for the Pandora. But now when I play an old game, it's sort of like "bah, this game is not the way I remembered it. It was fun back then, now it's just bah". I suspect many people will feel the same.
That might be more an issue of you placing your hopes more on the nostalgia you hope to feel rather than a perception of usefulness. While I personally do hope to play a lot of old games on it and am hoping for improvements to PS1 and N64 emulation, that's not the entirety of what it can do for me. I can write short stories or papers on the go with it, take notes, read books, listen to podcasts, watch (ripped) dvds, websurf, etc... all on a device that fits in my pocket unlike my 10 inch netbook. Now sure you can say just get a smartphone, for some people that probably IS the best option. Personally I cant afford to pay 100 bucks a month on a websurfing phone. It might do more than just have internet access, but are the other things it does really worth the extra expense? Not really, but that's just me. I pride myself on being an educated consumer, if there's something better I can buy for cheaper I would, it simply isnt that way for the uses outlined above.
I would and HAVE told anyone that looks at a pandora to seriously look at what they
want to do, if it fits those criteria then great but dont force
yourself to BELIEVE you want it just to justify it. For some people it's nearly the perfect device for others maybe they should or could have found something else better with a bit more time. That's why I personally got angry about the "I'm canceling" threads. If those people spent more time thinking about what they wanted and how long they were willing to wait for it they wouldnt be posting angsty junk posts that don't help anyone or contribute to a worthwhile conversation. I can sum up why half those people canceled; poor consumer awareness. If it's not for you to be able to wait for improvements, if you're a "gotta have it NOOOW" personality and you can only see it as a game machine, get out now sell your preorder and move on to something else until it is what you want and maybe then there'll be enough of them that you can buy it and then have it be "exciting" to you. (not specifically to you Silverspring, just a general suggestion to anyone thinking this particular way.)