In this tutorial, you'll learn how to modify the [i].ini[/i] files of you Caanoo so that you can launch any application / emul / homebrew.
Then we'll see how to change the icons and title bars.
[i].ini[/i] files allow the Caanoo to identify launchable apps so that they can appear in the menu. It's like the shortcuts in Windows for example.
The paths are all case-sensitive, so the lower-case ([i]example[/i]) and the upper-case ([i]EXAMPLE[/i]) [u]MUST[/u] be respected.
Many [i].ini[/i] don't work only because of this trick
Step 1 : Modifying / Creating .ini files[/u]
- first you'll need a text editor that can convert your files in UNIX format, we'll use Notepad++ for this. Link [url="http://notepad-plus-...lus.org/"]here.[/url]
- once N++ installed, launch it and go to : [i]File / New[/i]
- in this example, we'll create a new .ini for the Pocketsnes 7.2.0 emulator ([url="http://dl.openhandhe...,0,71,682"]link[/url]), because there is no .ini in the archive.
Here's the tree of the archive :
- type these lines :
[info] name="SNES 7.2"
The [i][info][/i] line defines the .ini, DO NOT forget it.
The [i]name[/i] line defines the name of the app in the Caanoo menu. You can type anything you want.
- type these lines :
The [i]path[/i] line is very important, it's the shortcut to the app.
In general, the path points to a .gpe file (like a DOS .exe) that will launch your app.
In this example the path points to "pocketsnes_caanoo_compatible.gpe", but you can put "pocketsnes_caanoo_fast.gpe" if you want.
You can put only ONE path line in your .ini.
- now your .ini is like this :
[info] name="SNES 7.2" path="/caanoo_release/pocketsnes_caanoo_compatible.gpe"
- you need to save the file on your Caanoo. Here N++ is very important, because you must convert the file in [i]UNIX mode[/i] so that the Caanoo can "read" it.
Go to EDIT / EOL Conversion and click on "Convert to UNIX format"
- now save your file in the GAME directory of your SD and name it LIKE the rep of the application. Here : [i]caanoo_release.ini[/i] .
The tree of your SD :
- and the result :
Easy, isn't it ?
But....It's really awful, I WANT AN ICON AND A TITLE BAR !!! Ok, just relax, and go to Step 2 !
Step 2 : Defining icons and title bars.[/u]
You'll need an image for your icon and one for your title bar.
Must be a 26*26 .png file.
Must be a 305*57 .png file.
These files will be copied in the application repertory, but you can copy it anywhere you want (your path must be valid though).
Let's rename the icon to : [i]snes_i.png[/i] and the title bar : [i]snes_t.png[/i]. (again you can rename to anything you want, but the path must be valid)
And add two new lines to the [i].ini[/i] :
[info] name="SNES 7.2" path="/caanoo_release/pocketsnes_caanoo_compatible.gpe" icon="/caanoo_release/snes_i.png" title="/caanoo_release/snes_t.png"
Save your file and now you have :
But DO NOT forget :
- files must be converted to UNIX mode
- the paths must be exactly the same, they are case sensitive.
French tuto here : http://caanoo.foruma...-lancement#7166
Edited by BAFelton, 03 September 2011 - 09:33 AM.