33 replies to this topic

#1 torpor

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:42 AM

Well, a few people have asked, so here's a picture of my "Travelling GP2X rig", which consists of a GP2X hooked up to a JOBO battery-powered datatank external hard disk:

Posted Image

This is an action shot of my GP2X copying a movie (UFO Series) from the datatank to its internal SD card ..

The Kinder-Egg cable, which I made in a few minutes, contains the needed details to handle the USB-Host port (silver cable) as well as Serial I/O (in case I need it on the road, heh heh..) and now gives my GP2X 60 gigs of hard disk space, as well as whatever I can cram into the JOBO's on-board card-readers .. so, 60gigs + CF slot + SD slot + MS slot +SM slot .. lets just call it 80 gigs worth of disk space for my travelling needs.

The cool part about this is thats all I need on my vacation: GP2X, Camera (Lumix FZ5), Datatank. We can watch movies, tons of them, play all the games I want, boot an alternative Linux config (I have a couple for the GP2X now), plug in a USB Hub, swap SD cards from the camera to storage to GP2X, etc. Great fun!

The only thing missing is my pimp-knob, which I'm going to go pick up from the workshop (where its being used to duplicate a few hundred more) tonight .. then I'm set! Woot for me!! :)

Anyway, here's hoping that GPH - or somebody - start manufacturing these cables so everyone else can do this just as easily .. albeit, minus the 'leet kinder egg, of course, heh heh ..

#2 WrongEyedJesus

WrongEyedJesus

Mega GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:02 PM

Nice work...

#3 Parkydr

Parkydr

Developing for the GP2X since 2006

• GP Guru
  • 1357 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

Cool - love the Kinder-Egg and tape - nice geeky touch :)

#4 Wite_Noiz

Wite_Noiz

GP32 Hardcore

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

Now all you need is some kind of easy recharging (solar, wind, wind-up, etc) ;)

#5 dsraa

dsraa

GP32 Hardcore

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

I'm sorry maybe I missed it, but....

WHAT IS A "PIMP-KNOB"???

DSR

#6 LordFu

LordFu

GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

I'm jealous. I wish I understood the cable. It's nice to know that it's possible. :D

#7 torpor

torpor

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

The pimpknob is my super duper cap replacement, made out of high-quality jewellers silver. It is, quite simply, the best knob you can possibly get for your GP2X. After 3 months of careful testing and tweaking we have come to the conclusion that the PimpKnob simply smokes the factory knobs, smokes the "GP2X" knob, leaves' the DaveC plasticap in the dirt .. it is, simply, Tha' Bling:

Posted Image

and:

Posted Image

(props to vimacs' monkey..)

I'm currently getting the prototype - which has been through 3 months of careful design revision and testing (8 proto's in total) - duplicated in a limited-run for those GP2X'ers who want, simply, the best cap you can get for your GP2X .. if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll put you on the list for an update when we get the first production run finished (they're hand made). Cost will probably be around Eu25,00, give or take a few bucks for shipping.. maybe its a lot for a cap, but remember: its silver. It is pimp. It is pure bling. And it rocks your games like no other knob ..

#8 shrubberyrobbery

shrubberyrobbery

GP32 Hardcore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

lol! a pimped gp2x

well, what's next? the windows (screen) are already 'blacked out' (at least when you power-down). hmm.... maybe a 15" sub :D

Edited by shrubberyrobbery, 16 June 2006 - 02:49 PM.

#9 Wite_Noiz

Wite_Noiz

GP32 Hardcore

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:49 PM

That's a very nice knob you have there

#10 aapje89

aapje89

Still here...

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2753 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:21 PM

The pimp knob is awesome! :D

Edit: 1 little question, do you need to install extra software/firmware to use this cable, or can you just use the 2.0 firmware?

Edited by aapje89, 16 June 2006 - 03:23 PM.

#11 torpor

torpor

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:06 PM

thanks! i think so too!

Edit: 1 little question, do you need to install extra software/firmware to use this cable, or can you just use the 2.0 firmware?

as long as you're running firmware 2.0, no problems whatsoever .. it just works. everything needed to support USB devices (Host mode) is in firmware 2.0, thanks to the folks GPH hired to get the fw2.0 release done ..

#12 aapje89

aapje89

Still here...

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2753 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:33 PM

thanks! i think so too!

as long as you're running firmware 2.0, no problems whatsoever .. it just works. everything needed to support USB devices (Host mode) is in firmware 2.0, thanks to the folks GPH hired to get the fw2.0 release done ..

cool :D, too bad my ipod nano hasn't got powered usb :(

#13 ulan

ulan

• PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:00 PM

ain't it possible to connect the extern harddisk to the gp2x with the usb bus on the right side of the gp2x

#14 torpor

torpor

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

ain't it possible to connect the extern harddisk to the gp2x with the usb bus on the right side of the gp2x

No. That is a USB2-Device port, only. You need to have a USB Host port to be able to attach devices - the GP2X has 1.1 USB Host on the EXT connector .. and thus, the cable ..

#15 Winterkid

Winterkid

Mega GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:Emulation, swordplay, computers, games, puzzles<br />

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:49 AM

I need to get a cap replacement still, and I am seriously considering this one. *pondering* Getting one to Canada is definitely a factor, as Silver might be a bit more pricey to import. (Thanks government)