19 replies to this topic

#1 Javacat

Javacat

Founder of the WarmFluffyUK fan club

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:47 PM

I'm thinking of getting a new MP3 player, but I've been out of the market for a couple of years so don't know what's going on. My current MP3 player is an Archos Gmini XS 200, which I love. It's small, I can plug it into any PC and transfer any files straight onto it without installing any software, has an extremely strong metal case (its attacked concrete on several occasions), looks pretty cool and has blue LEDs!! Unfortunately it's only got a 20GB hard drive in it and I hate deleting things off of it when I need to update it.

I've got some rather strict requirements though:
  • It must be able to play pretty much any audio I throw at it (Mainly .OGG, .WMA and MP3s with dodgy encoding)
  • Be used like an external hard drive when plugged into a PC (With no additional software or drivers)
  • Have a strong case
  • Have at least 40gb storage

If possible I'd also like the following:
  • Ability to browse the actual files and folders on the MP3 player to select what to listen to.
  • OSX compatible
  • Use standard mini USB data cable
  • Look cool

I'm considering getting a 60GB iPod Video and installing Rockbox on to it, but I'd like other peoples suggestions so that people don't start accusing me of being an Apple fanboi tongue.gif

#2 nickspoon

nickspoon

vultum stultum habes

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4234 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:01 AM

At least get something that can be Rockboxed, it's excellent.

I'm an iriver fanboy personally, I love their players. I don't know if they do one in 40GB or above though.

#3 Nova

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

• X-treme Team
  • 6086 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE(Javacat @ Apr 29 2007, 12:47 AM) View Post
I'm thinking of getting a new MP3 player, but I've been out of the market for a couple of years so don't know what's going on. My current MP3 player is an Archos Gmini XS 200, which I love. It's small, I can plug it into any PC and transfer any files straight onto it without installing any software, has an extremely strong metal case (its attacked concrete on several occasions), looks pretty cool and has blue LEDs!! Unfortunately it's only got a 20GB hard drive in it and I hate deleting things off of it when I need to update it.

I've got some rather strict requirements though:
  • It must be able to play pretty much any audio I throw at it (Mainly .OGG, .WMA and MP3s with dodgy encoding)
  • Be used like an external hard drive when plugged into a PC (With no additional software or drivers)
  • Have a strong case
  • Have at least 40gb storage
If possible I'd also like the following:
  • Ability to browse the actual files and folders on the MP3 player to select what to listen to.
  • OSX compatible
  • Use standard mini USB data cable
  • Look cool

I'm considering getting a 60GB iPod Video and installing Rockbox on to it, but I'd like other peoples suggestions so that people don't start accusing me of being an Apple fanboi tongue.gif

I'd recommend the Creative Zen Vision: M.

It has all you want, plus an absoloutely beautiful interface.

#4 nemt

nemt

GP32 Hardcore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:24 AM

Cowon iAudio X5

#5 Tripmonkey_uk

Tripmonkey_uk

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts
  • Interests:All of the above!

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE(nickspoon @ Apr 29 2007, 01:01 AM) View Post

At least get something that can be Rockboxed, it's excellent.

& it will keep getting better smile.gif

I'd stay away from iPods myself, I've had a fair few in the past 2 years.. all with hardware faults sad.gif

#6 Javacat

Javacat

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I ordered a 60GB Cowon iAudio X5 yesterday and it should be coming tomorrow.

Also, 50 points to nickspoon for finding my secret lair wink.gif

#7 nickspoon

nickspoon

vultum stultum habes

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4234 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

Hurrah!

Good choice of player there (if I had the money, I would go for that one). Very nice feature list. Can't say I like the look of it, but it seems to do everything (including Rockbox smile.gif).

#8 Javacat

Javacat

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:29 PM

Yeh, I'm not too keen on the look of it, but I became determined to have rockbox support (after I found out about the support for last.fm) so it was this or an iPod video.

The iPod video is ugly and as Tripmonkey_uk says, it has hardware problems.
+ the X5 is a gadget from Korea, which instantly makes it good laugh.gif.

#9 ak_

ak_

GP32 User

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, drawing, oldschool video games, ukulele, cheese ...

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:46 AM

The iAudio X5 is great and its 35 hours autonomy makes it a nice portable hard drive for the 2x smile.gif

#10 Tripmonkey_uk

Tripmonkey_uk

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts
  • Interests:All of the above!

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

Dammit.. now I need to try & get my money back on the iPod so I can buy one sad.gif
Think I'll send my mother down to PC world. She'll bitch & moan at them until they cave in laugh.gif

#11 nickspoon

nickspoon

vultum stultum habes

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4234 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

I've just got a pair of Sennheiser CX300 canalphones, and my god they sound good. I recommend getting some Sennheiser canalphones, because the headphones that come with MP3 players are generally rubbish.

OK, and I just bought an iAudio X5 30GB. From eBay for 50 inc. delivery, but without the subpack, so that'll be another 10. Go me.

Edited by nickspoon, 16 May 2007 - 09:23 PM.

#12 Javacat

Javacat

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE(Tripmonkey_uk @ May 16 2007, 04:45 PM) View Post

Dammit.. now I need to try & get my money back on the iPod so I can buy one sad.gif
Think I'll send my mother down to PC world. She'll bitch & moan at them until they cave in laugh.gif

QUOTE(nickspoon @ May 16 2007, 05:37 PM) View Post

OK, and I just bought an iAudio X5 30GB. From eBay for 50 inc. delivery, but without the subpack, so that'll be another 10. Go me.

haha, I'm such a trend setter!!

I'm really impressed with the X5. It looks far better in the flesh and it feels as though the whole case is metal (although it could just be really good metalic paint).

Whilst not busy working (finally finished at 1am!), I've been fiddling with my X5 and have gotten rockbox installed. I did fiddle with the standard firmware when I first powered it up, but I wasn't impressed (the screen has a bit of a crap resolution and it looked all blocky). It's taken me a little while to get used to it, but so far I'm extremely impressed. The radio is great on it, and I think I might actually use the built in database function! (although I need to fix a few tags). I've installed this skin onto rockbox, which I think suits it really well and makes the screen look a lot less blocky.

I'm already busy bothering the devs on the rockbox IRC channel about various possible features tongue.gif

#13 Shifty

Shifty

Mega GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:17 AM

Hey Javacat, how much did you end up paying for the x5? I'm thinking about getting one of these but new ones are kinda expensive mellow.gif.

#14 Javacat

Javacat

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:37 AM

I bought a 60gb X5 from Advanced MP3 Players for about 220 (I think). They have stopped selling them now as I believe Cowon are releasing a new MP3 player very soon. It sounds a lot for the money, but it costs about the same as an iPod video of the same size, looks better and the features available for it are far better. I think it was well worth the money (even more so after installing Rockbox).

The battery life isn't brilliant in the x5, but it is quite cheap and easy to replace the battery with one that significantly increases the playtime available.

#15 Shifty

Shifty

Mega GP Mania

• GP32 Hardcore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE(Javacat @ Jun 16 2007, 12:37 AM) View Post

I bought a 60gb X5 from Advanced MP3 Players for about 220 (I think). They have stopped selling them now as I believe Cowon are releasing a new MP3 player very soon. It sounds a lot for the money, but it costs about the same as an iPod video of the same size, looks better and the features available for it are far better. I think it was well worth the money (even more so after installing Rockbox).

The battery life isn't brilliant in the x5, but it is quite cheap and easy to replace the battery with one that significantly increases the playtime available.

Thanks for the response. I think the new one is called like an X5l and it has a longer battery life.